1991 (a)

 

 
 
 

It is morning in early June. Dad has both halves of the papers equally cut in inky plateaus placed on the brown table on our blue front porch.

The houses on the bluff become dotted with illuminating orbs, stuttering wicks iridescently patterned in geometrical cornrows abutting the friable-hutted shingles. Every morning the papers arrive on the corner of Sherman and Cedar ferried in an oversized White truck that looks like it should be associated with some Midwestern dairy product pausing in portly overweight huffs as it deposits twin trussed tablets  before scuttling down the road, it’s brake lights correlating with the overhead seasonal clime as it winks into a ruby halt before taking a stolid left onto Western avenue and beyond. Dad’s alarm echoes out a nasal shrill at 4:30 and he usually has the papers counted and placed on the front porch table by the time my lights switch on.

 He continues to walk down Sherman avenue. The planet opening up in a tea-flavored yawn.  We have it so we split the route in two.  We slip the papers in the satchel and begin to mow the street. If possible we fold the paper once, geometrically in half and then  wedge it in the screen door. If the screen door is locked we fold the paper in half and plant it in the mail slot.  Dad takes one side of the street and I tackle the other. We rove down Cedar to Western. I deliver the t here papers at the Koffee haus  before swimming back up Moss cutting down cedar to our abode. We then count and insert the papers again before heading out on the longer vector of our route. We venture west down Sherman, and I hit Bernies, and Mr. Engles and the house that has who got robbed last May. I hit he house with the only African American couple who are extremely groomed live on the street, placing their paper into the door, quiet, because I know the husband works construction and leaves for work the time I am delving into my route.  There is brick house that looks high scale and incongruous with the rest of the block almost directly across the street from the round house.  We continue to walk. There is something reminiscent of bag pipers plucking the tubes of their skirl as we ferry our load. We are conveying headlines, the corporeal transmission of headlines, of global affairs, of an almost needle-point accurate five day weather forecast features in chartered rectangles on the back of LOCAL section. I am transporting  facts and ideas. I am chauffeuring a two hour old atlas informing blue collar hoi poloi the barometer and pulse of the planet.

I am telling people how they should think.

 

                                                                             ***

 

The summer I run every day. I run after my paper route. The coast of dawn arriving into the port of the planet with a 5:30 am tint—the sight of clouds sailing over the west. After my route, I run, my fists scroll into dual clenched gavels as I continue to tap over the planet in strides. Before 6:30am every morning I have already delivered the events of the World and community to two lengthy strips of what was then middle-income hardcore working class Americana. By 7:30 am I have already propelled my limbs over the four mile course.

It is the summer before eighth grade.  I continue to comb the avenues of the West Bluff .

I haven’t thought about Young Columbus or about France in months.

That June Maurice Alwaun will leave his post managing zip codes in newspaper circulation and start his own produce business at he bottom of Farmington road. He will call it Alwaun fruits and display oranges and pineapples in wooden bins. He will pass out flyers in the West Peoria parade.

I arrive home from running my daily four mile run. Sweat drip from my brow in limp treble clef signs. I am pushing myself. I am thinking about next year clocking my mile at state.

I am out of breath.

There is a stranger in our front lawn. Although it is summer he is wearing a beige trench coat.He has a shy smile. He has a moustache that looks like an upside-down boomerang manufactured out of sand paper.

My mother is standing next to him. She is smiling. She points her arm in his direction like she is a hostess in a day-time Game show.

“David. This is Tom Otten. He is Maurice’s replacement He’s your new District Manager.”

We shake hands.

He seems to says the words yeah and well a lot and look down in a manner that is endearing while nodding.

He tells me again that Maurice has always talked extremely highly about me.

“You are the only paperboy on the route in which patrons call in and praise. Keep on doing what you are doing. We sure appreciate it.”

I tell him Thank you. When I come inside Dad hands me a piece of paper and an ink pen.

“You need to write Maurice a letter and thank him. It was because of him that you almost went to Europe.”

I nod and obey, picking up the pen and scratching into the bareness of the page.
                                     
                                                                 ***
 

                  

Three months after he proposes to Lois Lane Superman unplops the buttons on his shirt and in a very behind the monkey bars pre-school, “I’ll-show-you-mine-if-you-show me-yours,” exposes himself to his fiancé Lois Lane, the inflamed curvatures of the wounded S prisoned in the upside down pyramid of his chest hovering in front of her like a spark at something that had been seemingly in front of her  every butterfly blink all along.
                                    
 
 
 
 
 
***

On my overnight birthday party in July my friends spend the night. We stay up all night, eat Bigfoot pizza, play videogames, watch videos. My friend Pat teaches my sister how to play poker and inadvertently curses in front of my parents when playing Nintendo.  David Best won’t shut up about how cool the band orientation was at Limestone.

In the morning at five, after cool can Pepsi’s all night, we head out in the morning to count the papers now deposited directly across the street from my house and deliver them. Patrick keeps yawn. Tim Keeps making inopportune jabs. David Best states that he might as well get use to this getting up early since band camp starts in two weeks while Hale lovingly lags half a block behind.
 
 
As we get to the White House which looks just like the White House with the Hot high school girl who goes to Notre Dame and visits me in dreams I walk up to the mail slit, scroll the paper flat and begin to wedge it inside.  When the periodical is almost all the way inside Tim begins to point, heckling incessantly. 
“You’re fucking the mail slot,” He states, laughing, elbowing a soporific eye lidded Patrick.
 
“No wonder all your customers like you, you commit sodomy with the mail slot.”
 
I tell Tim to chill again. David Best tells my friend down the street to watch his language. Hale still appears to be half a block behind.
 
“Look your fucking it. You’re fucking it.” Tim begins to pogo up and down excitedly like he needs to pee.   
“You are fucking the mail slit with a fake dick. You are gay.”
 
He says, pointing and laughing at the same time.
Tim is gesticulating. He cannot stop laughing. He can snot stop labeling me a butt-fucker.
 As I walk away in the peach fizz dawn of another morning I can see the girl with the side ponytail and the frizzy 80’s hair looking out her window, as if lost in a smile.
Somehow it feels like she is giving me a little wave.
 
 
                                                                          
                                                           ***
 
Sometimes when Terry Inman is drunk he will mistakenly call me by his dead son’s name. He calls me Cap.  Today I am halfway down the street collecting and can already see spangles of light ricocheting off of crushed aluminum dotting Terry Inman’s front yard. Nicole and Carrie are entering their junior year and live down the street. They wear make-up with too-much blush and glitter and go down and sit with Terry Inman as a refuge to smoke. Today they are sitting next to him casually puffing away.   They begin to chuckle when I walk into his direction, flapping open my collection like an oversized pocket calculator. Seated next to Terry is a shirtless  man I have never seen before. Both of them are drinking and carousing, laughing with their chins pointed like church steeples into the cumulus above.
Come here cap, Terry says, slapping the side of his jeans. The high school girls take slow puffs from their cigarettes, holding their smokes like crayons, like they are unsure when to ash or to inhale.
He calls me Cap again. I have my collection book at waist length as if I am protecting my crotch from a corner kick. 
Terry holds up a can of Busch Light.
“You wanna beer, there Cap?”
I swipe my head from opposing shoulders.  Terry implies that I am probably too young anyway. The high school girls with frizzy hair and Virginia slims erupt in a confetti sprinkle of giggles.
The man sitting next to him states that his name is Angus and that he is from Australia.
 I hold out my hand and state that it is a pleasure to meet you sir.  Angus looks at me with his eyebrows raised.
Everyone in the table breaks out in laughter.
 
“Here Cap have a seat, Angus here ‘as something he wants to show you.” I sit on the picnic table in the front lawn. The girls continue to laugh while holding their hands in front of their lips.
“You ever seen wanna these before?” Angus says, he pulls out what looks like a handgun. He pushes the brim of the nozzle directly in front of my face, under the brim of my glasses.
I am thirteen years old. I have never seen a gun this close before.

I push the center of my glasses into the cinnamon tan of my forehead.
I tell him no. There is more laugher. Terry Inman cracks open another Busch Light
I ask him why he has a gun. I inquire if it is for protection. I try to be an adult and ask him if he has a conceal carry permit. The girls laugh some more. The man from Australia begins to gesticulate with the gun like he is pointing out state capitals on a classroom overhead.
“Well, you see here, we were just playing a little Russian Roulette, you know what Russian Roulette is duntcha?”
I tell him no.
The girls laugh some more. Carrie fires up a smoke after flicking at her lighter with her press-on thumb nail.
“Russian Roulette is when you put one bullet in a chamber of the revolver, spin the cylinder like so and then press the muzzle to your head and click the trigger.”
Angus still has the gun pointed so that if it were explode it would either my knee-cap or much worse.
Terry takes another swig of his beer and then openly snorts.
 
The shirtless lad from Australia quickly opens and snaps close the chamber before spinning the cylinder.
“Thing is, there is six chambers and there was only four of us. And yer here now which means that there is five.”
He holds the gun sideways and by the handle like a peace offering in my direction.
 
“So, it’s your turn.”
 
I am speechless. I don’t know what to say.
I look at him and hold my hand out telling him that I just came to collect the two-dollars and forty-five cents for the weekly paper.
Angus looks at me again.
“Well you have to go,” He continues to gesture with the gun at various members of the drunken cadre.
“See I went first and then Terry’s drunk-ass over here went second.”
Carrie and Nicole both say that they went in high-pitched giggles.
Angus then slowly looks at me still handing me the gun.
 
“So it’s your turn. You have to go. We’ve all gone which means that when you hold the gun into your acne-riddled temple and pull the trigger, there’s only a one in two chance that the gun won’t go off. Fifty-fifty. Heads or tails.”
I step back. I tell him I need to go. Before I can hear Angus say stop. I turn around.
Angus reaches in his wallet. He pulls out a rectangular green bill.
“How about for 100 dollars. I’ll give you a one-hundred dollar bill and all you have to do is hold the gun up to your head and pull the trigger. What do you say?”
I look at the money. After tithing for church and depositing money into my savings account it takes me a month and a half accumulate that much money.
Again, I tell him no. I tell him sorry. I try not to think how I left Terry Inman slide on a month’s pay because he never seemed to have the loose change even though he purportedly always had money for beer and smoke. I try not to think about the time I came to collect and saw Terry Inman passed out in a nest of beer can, the sports section of the journal star splayed out on the picnic table like an atlas leading nowhere.
I step back again. I tell I need to leave.  As I turn around Angus says my name again, only he addresses me as Terry Inman’s estranged son, calling me Cap.
 
“You know what Cap,” He says, the gun pointing in my direction. I am paralyzed. I am thirteen years old.
 
“Your ass is grass.”
 
Angus then pulls the trigger. I look into the squinting nothingness vowel-shape of the barrel. There is a reverberating click. I am waiting for an explosion. Waiting for the proverbial significant events of one’s life to metaphysically whiz past me in slow motion.
Instead there is a gravid pause followed by heaps of laughter. Angus looks at Terry and states that his paper boy is a pussy before reeling the crinkled slice of US currency from the top of the table.
 I turn around and walk away, by the time I get to the sidewalk I find that Terry Inman is next to me, putting his avuncular right arm around my shoulder like a wing.
 
“Hey, don’t worry about Angus over there he was just trying to have a little fun.”
I nod my head and tell him okay.
Terry Inman tells me that he doesn’t have the money he owes me. I want to tell him that I find this odd since he has money for crates of beer and cartons of smokes. I want to ask him if he can just ask his buddy Angus who feels compelled to flaunt weaponry in random adolescent visages if he could just run up to the gas station and make change for a hundred.
Only I don’t.
Terry then asks if I can come back Tues, when his check comes.
I tell him I will.
As I turn down the front sidewalk and head for the only home I have ever known I can hear one of the high school girls behind me say what a dweeb.
It is 1991.

I am about ready to enter eighth grade.