June 1992 (b)






The interior of Peoria Players feels like you are walking into a plinth of tint, the feeling you get seconds before wielding open the clasp of your eyes after a deep winter slumber. There is always dusk on the antipodal side of the stage, always the first book of genesis darkness waiting for the trickling ping of light to arrive in beams and ripples.

A womb-like tightness, the shuffling of jigsaw serrated shaped props gnawing into the background.

A socket of darkness occluded by the ruffled bangs of the burgundy stage curtain segregating the actors from the yawping folding chairs faced in our direction like stoic yawns.

The opening paragraph of a dream.


The play is in two weeks.


I haven’t spoken with Anastasia in almost five days either at rehearsal or over the phone.


                                                                        ***




The next day I look at the letter I received in the mail. It is from Coach Ricca. The cross-country picnic is in five days.  He says to call if we have any questions.

I call him on my own.

“Hi. Mr Ricca?” I say, almost stuttering. He says yes.



 “My name is David Von Behren. I ‘m going to be running cross-country on your team next year.”

He says hi. He says he has heard good things about me. He inquires if I ran the ‘Boat.

 
“Yeah I ran Steamboat.”

 I tell him the time I ran. He is uber-impressed that I ran sub-six minute milers over a four mile course and that I am only going to be a freshman.”

He keeps asking question about my previous times.

 “Well, I’m certainly anticipating meeting you. You should be an asset to the squad.”

 


                                                                      ***


The first part of rehearsal I fill in for Mayor Shinn who is excused to attend to a family obligation.
Halfway through Iowa Stubborn when everyone greets me with a good morning Mayor Shinn I turn, and, almost like Gary Coleman, say it is if you are walking around in your drawers all day.

Pam explodes in drips of laughter.

 All I want to do is make Pam laugh.

 Even when I am Mayor Shinn I am somehow always still Charlie. 
 


                                                                        ***





I am the first to arrive. From a distance I can see him. He is stretching.

He is getting ready to run

He is hollow-cheeked gaunt-eyed with a searing look of a gladiator stowed in the pockets of his eyelids. A buzzed shock of red hair adorned his scalp like a skullcap. He was a vessel of optimal health and a dominating competitor. While in his late-30's he could easily average five minutes per mile over the discourse of a 15k. I had spotted this athletic titan twice, pedaling his arms and legs in inimitable stance, the chug of his elbows in metric tandem with the smooth lapping rhythmic sway of each foot gave him the appearance of a spiky-haired human sail gliding into a dazzled sprint across a cement pond of the earth leading a herd of numerical tank-top frenzied long distant road runners through the shuttle of the finish line. He teaches geometry and calculus at the south side high school I will to attend and he coached the sport in which I was expected to excel.

He is Coach.
 

 


                                                         ***





We begin every rehearsal with Head shoulders knees and toes. I sit at the back next to two younger male members of the chorus ogling the females performing simple calisthenics. The stage is like the back of a cave. We are moving. Our performance is in two weeks. We will have two dress rehearsals.

Downstairs overweight volunteer mothers scuttle about like pickalittle hens collecting costumes.

 During the prologue my job is to point and gesticulate that the protagonist doesn’t know the territory.  I get angry. I doff my tweed hat and spike it like a football when Harold Hill states that he doesn’t believe that he dropped his name and holds up his suitcase.


The sets begin piece together in snaps. Several new people are introduced wearing microphoned headgear informing us when we are to take our places on stage.

There is a heavy and alluring musk wafting through the seats of the theater. Before rehearsal there is a lady with perm-damp sand-castle hair wearing shorts with sandals and socks.

Pam introduces her as Terri.

“She is going to be in charge of the lightening. Please give her the same amount of respect that you have shown myself and Miss Janice.”

There is something about Terri that looks like she could be a catcher in a female inclusive softball league.

I have not spoken with Anastasia in a week. I missed my chance with Andrea thanks to Ian and Guns-N-Roses.

 In between sets I introduce myself to Terri. I have heard that she will be a senior at the high school I will be attending.

“You go to Manual?” I inquire.

 Terri says yeah. She says that she really loves it. She says that she is going to be a senior this year.
I ask how she knows Pam.
 “I’m in a class with her this summer. She is a really emotive teacher. Just coerces you to douse everything that is stowed up in your finger tips on the page.”

I tell Terri that I know what she means, figuratively speaking
 “There’s only one other English professor I’ve ever had who's like her and they are friends. If you are at Manual next year you will probably have him.”

I try to ask what class she is taking with Pam. I try to ask what the name of the English teacher is at Manual who will blow me away.
 Instead my internal inquires are interrupted by a technician informing Terri that he will show her the booth.
I remain quiet.
 I’ll see you soon. I tell her

She doesn’t look back.
From down the emerald carpeted side hallway abutting the entrance to the theatre I can hear Anastasia and Matt laughing.

I take out my script and continue to mentally pummel out my lines.



                                                                        ***


We can be cold as a falling thermometer in December if you ask about our weather in July.


                                                                         
                                                                           ***




I jut my hand out like a lance. I introduce myself to Coach Ricca. I inform him it will be an honor to run for him this coming fall.

“That’s a pretty impressive time you clocked at Steamboat.” He says again, iterating that for just having graduated from eighth grade the bulk of the Varsity cross country runners in the state couldn’t clock that time.


 I tell coach that I’ve been running around 100 miles a week. I tell coach that I run three times a day.


He asks me if I think I’m over doing it.


 “All I’ve ever wanted to do since I was second grade was run. My dad used to take me running with him around the golf course.”


 Coach Ricca says good because that’s where our home meets will be held.


 You are really gonna play a vital part filling in gaps for the team. You should be one of the fastest freshman in the area.   We are really blessed to have you.”

He tells me that god things are going to happen.

He tells me that the others should be here shortly.
                                                              

                                                                             ***

                                         
        
I idle behind the lids of the stage.  I rehearse my lines. Miss Jana rattles the diminutive planks of the  ivory. Parents are downstairs taking measurements, assisting kids with their costumes. Even though the musical is set in the nineteen-teens there is something antebellum in attire we are wearing.  Most of us are wearing bow-ties and suits. The traveling salesman have hats that look like flying saucers made out of reeds. The last scene Harold Hill and the members of the river city boys band attire themselves in the band uniforms from the high school I will be attending in the fall.

 
There is Pam's cackle in the back ground. There is Pam meeting with what she refers to as “company” at the end of the night as she goes over the notes from the rehearsal. There is always applause and there is always smiles and there is always the reminder that are show is two weeks away.

 
 The songs begin to leak into the kiddie pool of my psyche. The Wells Fargo Wagon keeps on coming. There is Trouble is river city where the chords on the piano descend into an amicable slouch, the chorus huddled around the protagonist bobbing their chins in detrimental concurrence. After the  Rock Island train scene where I  vehemently vent about the vile antics of Harold Hill while referring to eye-oh-wuh as eye-owe-aye the ruffled bangs of the burgundy stage curtains hovers into the ceiling tiles and a world is created compliments of the brazen dissonance echoing like a sonorous swan song from the swill of the pit, a wounded brass effigy for a elapsed time brimming with innocence soon to be swallowed by the dual world wars and the dawn of unfathomable technology.

 
On stage the Pick-alllite- talk-allitle ladies are chirping out gossip and social canards like fecund hens.


Everyone seems to be humming the whispering spring mist that is the minute in G.

 The girl from Take Five dance studio keeps on screeching Yee-gawds every five seconds in a shoulder-jilted press-on nails across the classroom blackboard kind of way. There are 80 kids in the production, the bulk being chorus members between the ages of eight and twelve. There is a constant movement backstage, waves of giggling perambulating on and off stage. Since I only have once scene in the first five minute and am not on again until mid-way through the second act I spend the bulk of the time helping the stage hands move sets.
              

I see Anastasia. She has been crying. The lavender elliptical swathes circling her eyelids correlate with the splash of velour that is her dress. She is pensive. She is morose. Her chin is facing down in the directions of the caps of her knees. The last chorus number she was somehow absent.

She is pensive. Somewhere there looks like tears have stained the planetary interior of her eyes.  The smile that I have lived for every time I have arrived to practice has been superseded by facial expressions that can most aptly be described as vacuous and limp. It seems like some sort of metaphysical floor vacuum has skirted over the orchard of her cheekbones and sucked the rosy vitality out of the women I just cannot stop thinking about.



Pam is going over notes. The company is huddled around her like she is calling a hail mercy play on the final out of a homecoming game.  She is distant. For whatever reason anthony is completely ignoring her  The lights on the stage look somehow resemble glowering underwater steeples.  As is slipping into a moonwalk, I take several scurrying steps backwards in Anastasia's direction.  The moment she sees me something germane to a smile forcefully elevates above her chin.

  “You okay?”  I inquire.  Pam continues giving notes to the chorus in the background, telling everyone to come prepared and ready to work for the next rehearsal. Flaccid tassels of tears slowly drip from her eyes.  Somehow, when she looks at me, her eyes are so wet they look like  as if they have just been baptized in a wet crimson notary.


Pam continues to cackle and give construct criticism. My right arm seems indelibly tethered around the creature I have been salivating over the past six weeks.
            I give her another little squeeze around the topography of her shoulder blade. Through her tears she continues to smile.


            Pam calls me again by my stage name.  Calls me Charlie. Tells me to keep it up Charlie. Tells me that I am getting better.
 


            I look back at the conductor of this adolescent sojourn and shoot back a  nod. Anastasia looks back at me giving me a look that its okay for me to remove my arm from around the top of her arm now and that I shouldn’t feel compelled to give her all this attention.
 

            “Do you want me to call you t’night.” I ask. With my glasses off her entire face is a glistening bulb of  static. She gives a little nod. Pam is clasping the skeletal tongs of her hands together as if she is ready to say grace telling us all that the show is coming together nicely and that we are going for continuity. With my arm still straddled around Anastasia's shoulder I can feel her inhale.



            “Call me tonight.” She says. 


            The palms of cast and company begin to collect and patter as if in prayer. As if some sort of life preserver, my limbs continue squeeze closer than I have ever held anything in my life.

As she leaves I hold my hand out grab her hand. I squeeze hard.


"Hey, stay cool, alright?"

Stacia looks back ay me doling a tear out of her left eye before a smile unbuckles from the helm of her lips like dawn.






                                                                  ***
.


                                                       

They arrive in cars, thumping up and down with music blaring in tandem of the streets. They park with the hood of the car still jutting up and down.

I see Jose. The captain.

He has  gentlest eyes I have ever seen. He is Hispanic and has a flattop.



The side doors of their cars open like wings. Coach points in their direction and tell me that my future teammates  have arrived.



                                                        ***


An hour after rehearsal I call Anastasia up. There is three rings and she picks up.


She calls me Charlie. She seems to know that it is me.
 Stacia tells me its been a long  last couple of days.

“I thought someone I was really in love with was going to give up something he loved more than life just to be with me but I guess I thought wrong.:"

 

I tell her that I am sorry. I tell her that I wish I was there to hold her. I tell her that I miss not talking with her the last couple of weeks.

 

She tells me that she thinks she misses me too.



                                                                      ***



“Hi, I’m Jose.” The captain says to me, stretching out his hand.


There is a skinny lad with straight blonde hair who appears to be the only other white boy on the team named Randy Peacock.  There is Gabino who I remember thrashing around on skateboards with Scott in Christ Lutheran church’s parking lot. There is Quaynor and Leatric.

I am introduced. I remember Tony Di Greggorio telling me to watch out for Munoz at the last Young Columbus contest.

 I remember him telling me that Jose Munoz is a beast.

Coach looks at us. It is a picnic. Coach bought two boxed of chicken from KFC.
Coach states that we should do a light work out with the hills of Bradley park. After we run we shall eat chicken and play football.

We run in an amoebic-bubble. We are trotting together over the cocnrete curvatures and dips constituting the swerve of lower Bradley park. Peacock steps ahead .

“I’m really honored to be running with you,” I tell Jose, I tell him that I have seen him run all around town.

I ask Jose what his P.R’s for Madison golf course. I tell him that I have a second cousin who ran cross-country for Manual in the extremely early 80’s and who went to state and has the freshman record on the course of 16:20.



“You should be able to do that.” Jose says to me, with a smile.



The pace is solid, ordained by Munoz. We form and arrowhead with our limbs treading over  vernal sheet of grass. We push across the lose loam and chained pyramids of the lower level of Bradley park.  We push up the side trail, past the Columbus statue, near the 70's playground before sprinting down near the tennis courts.

When we arrive back to the picnic area coach chucks a football and Leatric catches. it. We gnaw into slabs of fried chicken. We play several pick-up games with Coach serving as quarter back. A photographer from the Journal Star saunters upon us and asks if he can snap shots of the game.  Coach Ricca looks at me and says that this doesn't happen .

When we leave he says to check our mailbox. He says that he will be mailing out schedules for summer practice.

Jose looks at me and asks me if I need a ride home.

"No," I tell him,  "I'm going to run." 


                                                                               ***





“I really missed not talking to you. I figured you were pissed off at me or something. 

"....."

“I figured you didn’t want to talk to me. I figured you were in love with J.C squires.”



 “Who?” Stacia says in elongated parlance like she is emulating an owl.



 “You know, Matt. In the quartet. You were always hanging around him and Couri and Jenny pulled me aside and stated that you do that with everyone and the you were all over Anthony the first moment you met him.”


 There is a pause. I continue:


 “They said that you were pretty much a incorrigible flirt. They said you batted your eyes and bartered your phone number to every.”
 Anastasia pauses once again.

"Couri said that you were like this with Anthony when he first came and with the boy who was first cast as my role. They said that you were all over them."

Anastasia is silent.

"They then said that you were only flirting with me momentarily and that the next actor who would cast you would be all over him and then Matt shows up and  you guts looks like you are chemically waltzing like protons and neutrons in the center of an Atom."

Anastasia remains silent for over a minute.

She then tells me that she can't wait to accost Couri and Jenny at the next rehearsal.

"They don't know shit. They don't know what they are talking about. It's game on."

There is something sexy about Anastasia when she gets pissed off.

Something sexy indeed.
 


                                                                          ***


When I arrive home from the first cross-country outing the leading Democratic  nominee is playing saxophone on Arsenio Hall.





 

 
The crowd just cannot halt with their applause.

By mid-June independent candidate Ross Perot has 39 percent of the vote. Bush has 31. Clinton is the caboose.

Some people are saying that Clinton is unfledged and just doesn't know the territory at all.

 



                                                                                  ***




                                    

“You know when I met you, it’s like you opened something up inside my chest that had never been opened before. You unlocked it simply by smiling and you made life somehow seem brand new once again.”


                                                                               ***

I am on TV. Ice-T had releases Cop-killer. For some reason Dan Quayle is making a huge deal about a song talking about killing cops and about that being wrong. I am with Joey Neltner. We make gang signs with the tips of our fingers. I am wearing two layers of shorts, granting me a semblance to appear that I am sagging.
 Joey asks me why I always have that green thing wedged in my back pocket.

I tell Joey it’s a play.

“It’s a play. Like you wrote a play like the skit you always write for Sunday school?”

He looks nonplussed. I tell him no.
“No, It’s called Music Man. It’s kinda like the plays we always used to do at Christ Lutheran back in the day only this one’s at Peoria Players.”
Joey inquires where Peoria Players is at. I tell him its down University. He looks at me and nods his head in his Starter cap.

“You were funny in that one play at CLS.  The one wear you wore the highwaters. I mean, I be gagging.”

We go inside the record store. When we leave there is a television crew outside Co-op records. They ask if they can interview us regarding the issue of censorship. Regarding Free speech.

Ice-T's body count album is being pulled.
I tell them that Ice-T has a constitutional right to free speech but when you talk about killing cops and listen to something like over and over again sometimes the young and volatile listener may want to emulate such behavior.







I don't use the word emulate or volatile.


Dad is proud of his son and tapes my interview with his VCR.

The next night at practice Wintrhop says in front of Pam that he saw me on TV.

 
"You were on TV?" Pam inquires. I nod. The director has several years of daytime soaps under her belt.

I am coy. I tell her yeah. I mention Ice-T and censorship and the news.


"Charlie," Pam replies, "What are we gonna do with you, Charlie?"

          Charlie Charlie Charlie.


                                                                                    ***

 

It is five o’clock in the morning. I have been talking with Stacia all night. I need to do my paper route. I need to run and then shower and then  go to what will be my second to last French class perusing my manuscript the duration of the bus ride.

 Stacia has talked about what a bitch Couri is for the last half hour. She is using words I have never heard. She is saying that Couri is conniving and duplicitous.  The morning is crisp, a lid of bruised hyacinth erupts from the eastern patch of the sky.

From down the street I can hear the delivery truck dropping off the heap of papers coughing.

 “I need to go,” I tell her, thinking about kissing her lips, her forehead, her cheekbones. Wondering if her lips feel moist the way coifed lawns in west Peoria feel moist as I amble across them with my Journal Star bag slung over my shoulder ferrying the headlines of what is transpiring on this Christmas bulb of a planet.

 

I tell Stacia thank you. I tell her that I have never spent the night with someone on the phone before.

 

“Just one thing before you leave,”

 

I ask her what. She tells me to look out the window.

 

“I want to share a sunrise with you. Just look out and watch the sun, the nuclear button that generating life and know that we are somehow here together.”

 

I want to tell Stacia I love her.

 

Instead I am quiet. Somehow I am holding her. I tell her goodbye.

 

I have papers to deliver.







                                                                  ***



In French class words bloom like botanical pistons in hand bells resonating in molecular chimed unison above our foreheads. There is saw-vuh and there is Jim Lappelle and there is trey being. There is app-pray and there is voo-lay and there is parlay and there is music and there is the scent of Andrea is front of me. Madame continues to whistle out her fifteen minute inaugural monologue a la  frrancais. Somehow all I am thinking about is Anastasia from last night, her breath fogging up the end of the receiver.

There are two French classes left. Andrea comes in late smelling like chlorine and sun shine. Madame smiles in her direction.


 At break Ian walks in my direction followed by Ross Perot. I am thinking about Stacia and sharing the dawn with her.

Andrea walks past. She is rattling change like she is about to cast dice.

She asks me if I would like a coke.

I tell her that I am fine.


Twice I have walked Andrea out of the French class into the brick cul-de-sac in the parking lot where her mother picks her up and twice, instead of saying goodbye, I have swiveled my chin and noted that it is a beautiful day.
 

“Dude, AndrĂ©a looks pretty smoking today.”


I tell him yeah, so.
“So you gonna hit on her? You gonna ask her out?”

Ian again asks me what I am going do. If I am going to ask her out.  I want to. I was on the phone all night last night with Anastasia.



 Yeah,  I tell them maybe. Maybe sometime soon.

                                                                                ***


                                         



We board the stage. It is dress rehearsal #1.  We look like an antebellum Cruise ship.   We have three more to go.

The play is in less than a week.



Terri is blinking the stage lights on.  There is a man next to her. I do a double take and realize it is Scott.
 Scott from the South Side.   I know him from Logan pool and from hanging out with Nick Pribble,.


“Hey man,” I say to him, giving him a complicated South Side hand shake.

We talk about everyone we know.

 “How did you stumble upon doing community theatre?” I ask him, noting that he is the last human being on earth I could possibly imagine seeing here.

 “Oh I’m in class with Terri who’s doing the lights.”

 “Wait,” Trying to figure stuff out.

 “At Manual?"
Scott nods once with his chin.


“Pam is your teacher at Manual?”  Scott does the same vertical motion with his chin.


“Wait—what is she teaching?”


“We’re in a poetry class together, It’s actually pretty cool. There’s only about four us but we really get along.”

 

Wait, I say again, my eyelids performing elementary mathematics as if on a trapeze. I think about the girl with the sandy hair who has always said hi to me while I am waiting for the city bus to go to French class.



“Is there a girl named Laurie in your class?”


Scott again nods his chin. Finally the equation is making sense.


 “This is like so crazy. I see Laurie almost every other morning. She always says hi to me while I am waiting for the bus to go to French class.


Scott stoically nods again. He says yeah. He says life sometimes is like that.

From off stage I hear someone yelling out Charlie. Yelling out that my scene is ready to begin.

 


                                                                  ***


The next morning I do my route I see  Mr. McQuellen looking out the upstairs window. He is not wearing a shirt and his chest is hairy.

 

Almost like Columbus he seems to be looking out over the prow of a ship.

 

Searching for some port that is lost and will never be found.




                                                                


      
                                                                               ***



We are choreographing the kiss. Angrily I ample back on stage. Marilyn the librarian has just said goodbye to the duplicitous yet somehow noble Harold Hill and my job, portraying Charlie the Anvil salesman.

Marilyn the librarian’s real name  correlates with the current season of Summer and she states that this is the first time she has ever acted. She is an incumbent senior at the school at the north side of the town where Karen Christmas attends where every other kid seems to have a doctor or a lawyer for a progenitor. She is Standoffish and seems to socialize only with the coterie of the Pickalittle ladies who seem to adamantly abhor Anastasia for no apparent reason.  Midway through the second act I stammer onstage irate, en route to thwart the nefarious Harold Hill.

 

When I say I should would like to do more than that I vertically swipe my chin up and down

 

I refer to her solely as girly-girl.

 

 

 


 
“Don’t look at her butt!!” Pam cackles out. The entire cast and company foams in a tuft of giggles.
 
 
Pam is admonishing me while she is smiling.
 
“No. No. I this were an adult production you would. You are totally
 
When I look back at Summer I apologize. I tell her that I was just acting.
 
She bats her eyes again in the opposite direction. There are more giggles. From stage left I note that Anastasia’s countenance is the color of cheap wine cooler she is laughing holding her hand just below her naval as if she is in a second trimester..
 
“Let’s do it again Charlie baby. One more time.” Pam notes.
 
“Remember Charlie baby. Children’s production. No butt.”
 
More giggles. Summer snarls back at me.
 
She looks like she wants to bite my nose.

                                                                ****


 So by God stubborn they can stand touching noses for a week at a time and never see eye to eye.

                                                            


                                                                         ***


                                                          


It it’s the Sunday before the fourth of July.

I’ve not stopped by the McQuellen’s for three weeks. The ten dollar tip the lady at the door gave me I used to pay their bill for the past month.

 

I see her in the yard mowing the grass.

 

She turns off the nasal gnaw of the lawn mower when she sees me on the other side of the street.

 

Without saying anything she gives me a hug

 

“Mrs. McQueelen.” I say to her.

 

“Thank you so much for the card.”

 

I don’t know what to say. I delivered the periodical that had her son on the front page talking about the accident in which he died.

 She tells me that Mary is inside.

“Would you like to come in and have some lemonade or something?”

I lie. I tell her that I am busy, though I still offer to mow her lawn.
 
Mrs. Mcquellen informs me that she shall see me next week.
 
"Sure we don't owe you more? " She inquires, once again.
 
I tell her no. I tell her that everything is good.
 
She gives me a hug goodbye. She is sniffling. I can tell she is thinking about her son.
 
When I leave I don't look back.
 
I don't want to see her cry. 
                                                                  ***

There is a little squeeze at the cap of my knee.

 I glance down and see a nest of porcelain fingers and when I look up I see Anastasia, she is still laughing.

 
“Don’t worry Charlie. I won’t get offended if you publically check out my ass.”

 
She squeezes my knee again.  I ask her if I can call her again tonight and perhaps we can do the sunrise again.

 

“I would like that,” She volleys back to me via the dip of her smile.

 
“I would like that a lot.”

                       
                                                                       ***



Today I have determined that I am going to ask Andrea out. Even though the pulse of my heart belongs to Stacia.  That I am going to see that perhaps maybe we can meet for lunch and/or a movie or something. Today I am going to procure the  seven prime numbers constituting her phone number.

During our break I avail my plan to Ross Perot and Ian. Ian again notes that she is smoking hot.
 
“Yeah, just don’t interject with a GNR video. I was really close to asking her out last time. I did enjoy Axl’s performance.”
 
Ian breaks out en medias stanza  of  Its so easy.
 “I see you standing there. You think you’re soooo cool. Why don’t you just FUCK OFF!!!!”
 
He holds up his middle finger like a lighter during a rock ballad. Ross Perot is on the ground with laughter.
 “Oh, by the way, I’m not supposed to tell you guys this but the French word for fuck you is fu-toi.”
 Ross Perot continues to topple down in laughter. Ian states that he only knows all the dirty words because he plays hockey with Madame’s son and Madame si always having all these French people over at the house all the time.
 “Fuck is fu-toi. Merde is Shit. Oh, and I think Bitch is just Beeeeeetch..”

Ross Perot pushes up his glasses into his forehead and continues to laugh. Andrea is sipping a diet coke and she is next to Jenay. Our break is almost up.
 "So you gonna ask Mademoiselle Merde-shit out after class today?”
 Ian tells me again that she wants you man.

I think about being on the phone all night last night with Stacia. I think abouot how she seemed to blush when I referred to her as Stace. I think about all I can imagine tumbling into high school with a girlfriend who has dark mocha-flavored bangs and goes to a county school.
 
Andrea is hotter. I can't stop thinking about Stacia.
 
I want to saddle and mount her heart.




                                                                   ***




The next scene I am onstage with Harold Hill there is an altercation. We have choreographed the scene extensively. I flail my fist as I stomp on stage while Marcellus pushes me back. In the scene I get in Harold Hill’s face and act like I am getting ready to pummel him. In the scene I insinuate that Harold Hill is a musical fraud and a petty  philanderer.   In the scene I publically note that Marilyn the Librarian is a hussy. In the scene I hold up the much sought after credential and tell Hill himself that I am going to Mayor Shinn with the news.



And in the scene, with my fists in his face, Anthony reaches back and, through extensive choreography, thrashes the gavel of his fist through my cheekbones.



I get up shaking my own fist as if my right hand is on fire informing the protagonist, the great Harold Hill, that I will somehow get even.



That he hasn’t seen the last of me.


                                                                      ***

                                                        




After class we wish Madame Au Revoir by flapping our arms like fountains.  I grope my French books and my script. I walk out the door after Jenay and Andrea.  Madame is wishing us A demain. Somehow Ian and Ross Perot follow directly behind me like a caboose.


The parabolic curves of the hallways of ICC look like the interior of an ashtray.


“Andrea, I was just wondering if you.”


She replies back in the affirmative. First in French. She says the word we.

I look around. Ian and Ross Perot and snickering. With the exception of last week when I was waylaid after class by Ian we have walked each other out to the parking lot.

Whenever we say goodbye we always look around first and comment that it is a beautiful day.


I want to take her out le Cinema. I want to take her out to dejeuner. I want to hold hands with her at La Café.
I want to kiss every part of her.

Ian is still snickering. There is a quizzical smile spread across Ross Perot’s visage that looks like his face could implode reverse paint by number style.

I repeat the same question. I am fourteen years of age. I have just graduated eighth grade. Two summers ago I woke up in the middle of the afternoon after falling asleep in the air--conditioned  living room to find a patch of wet jam sluiced onto my inner thigh, dreaming about my music teacher, straddling me on her piano bench.

I tell Andrea I was just wondering again. She pauses and nods the way she has seen every thoroughly antennae-decimated televised high schooler pause and nod in every after school special she has ever seen.

“I was just wondering if…:

She is waiting for me to say something to add a proverbial splash of pubescent narrative to her life.

She is waiting for me to say something profound. I think about Anastasia and her forehead that looks like glossed produce.

It’s like I have a political choice between Anastasia and Andrea and I am only allowed to scribble one name on the ballot.

Behind Ian and Ross Perot are snorting in meted stanzas.

Her eyes are the color of Neptune.  She blinks twice as if swallowing me with her vision. She is sexier than Anastasia. She is a cheerleader.

.“I was just wondering if you could tell me the score from the Cubs game last night.”

Ian and Ross Perot erupt in coughing gaks. Andrea looks back at me as if she is going to cry before telling me that she needs to go.

Ian comes up to me and slaps my hand like we are in a gang.

“That was great. You really schooled her. You should have seen the look on her face. She looked like she was ready to cry.

I respond in the affirmative.

I respond by saying Oui.



                                     

 


                                                                          ***


As I am walking out of the dressing room after rehearsal I espy Stacia.  She is beaming. Her forehead is the color of a bruised pomegranate. She has just gotten into an altercation with Couri about the rumors that were circulated about her and judging by the   

“I told her that she can literally go suck it with her sorry ass.” Anastasia is smiling, blushing, grabbing me by the wrist, it will occur to me only later that I have never been this close to a female before. I can feel the atmosphere of her cent begin to escalate and rise like the golden planks of the nearest day star amidst the coastline of my flesh, part of my body tucked beneath the hemisphere of my torso is beginning to elevate. To ascend. To stretch and rise with the carol of every time  Anastasia is for some reason sharing with me. She is still clad in the lavender drape of her costume.  Her smile pushing past the cathedral of her lips, shining. She is standing so close to me, smelling like some sort of prize winning botanical entity that has been watered and groomed and prized just for me.


            “I told her to suck it, I told her that if she is trying to start shit than there is no way that any of that shit is ever going  to fly.


            At the word fly the lateral front of my visage seems to bow in some sort of reverence into her face. I confirmation was last than two calendar months ago where we were purportedly supposed to bind unto myself this day in a virginal white almost wedding like garb. Now, in  eternal deference to God the father it somehow feels that I am  bowing towards something even greater. That I am placing my assurance in a fleshy  seraphim, the tips of my fingers splayed, grope her occiput, the globe bearing the address of  her smile, my left hand slips, chauffeurs behind her waist, I reel her back.

The kiss is terse. 

It doesn't last.

Her lips taste like the seminally moist petal of a smile.

Her lips taste like the first day of spring. 
 
"Call me tonight." Is all says afterwards.



 
I smile.
                                                                                       ***
 
I see Laurie one final time. Again she is on her bike. She is pedaling past as if ignoring me.   My thoughts are still riddled with Andrea and Stacia and Jenay.

I flag her down.

“Hey,”

“Hey,”


I know this is totally crazy and I don’t know how to explain it but your poetry teacher, Pam Tucker- White is actually the director in my play I have been telling you about. She is just amazing.


Laurie is nodding her head up and down. She goes to say something and I interrupt her.


She even has most of your classmates doing lighting and directing.

I tell her that I have met Terri Andrews. I tell her that Scott is supposed to be doing something significant only he only shows up about a third of the time.

Laurie and then tells me that Scott is really into rap.


It’s weird that I met you. I mean, I met you and then I started taking French class lessons and then I was in this play which I didn’t really know what I was doing and I was cast as the villain and then Pam, the director, who sometimes just has this laugh that I swear breaks molecules turns out to be the director.


Laurie nods several more times. I wonder if she realize that after I met her I used to fantasize over its just holding her while listening to Def Lepard.


Laurie nods again. She said that yeah, it was pretty weird.

 Sorry, I didn’t mean to hold you up, its just that when I met you shortly I realized just how amazing Pam was. It is pretty amazing. It’s like we’re all in this together.”



 Laurie looks back at me she then speaks.


 “Look, I know about the rehearsal for Music man. Pam actually referenced you. She said that there was this really amazing kid named Dave and Scott already knew who you wirer from  the hood and Pam just smiled and then was like he needs to calm down and he’s really going to be something special.”

I pause and look down. I tell her that I’ve had some trouble but I think everything is coming along okay or as Pam would say, nicely.

 

Laurie looks down again while conveying to me that she knows.

 From the end of the street I can see my bus beginning to comb down the street. I tell Laurie that I need to go.

 

“If you get a chance I mean, you should really come and see Music man at the Peoria Players theatre. I mean Teri and Scott are already involved in it. And Pam. They would love if you were there to see them. To experience what they have been working on all summer when you guys were out writing poems.”

 
Laurie looks down again and smiles.

 
She then says that she needs to go.

“Okay,” I say, not comprehending why the short-ginger hair lass has been so aloof.

 
The bus comes. The side doors slice open. I step onto the almost escaltoresque steps. 

I look back out of the reverse aquarium eye-liner of the bus as it lumbers on to Western avenue and head off to my final French class.
 
 Laurie is no more.
 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment