Music Man, Community Children's Theatre, Peoria Players, 1992, night two...







The second performance in a row Pam talks to God. The second performance in a row the almost  90 members of the cast form a whale-shaped bubble clasping arms and elbows on stage, for the second day in a row, after make-up and vocal warm-ups with Miss Jana, Pam tells all of us to take several deep breaths and to close our eyes and to feel a purple energy hovering over us, for the second day in a row Pam says hi to God like they are old drinking buddies, addressing God with a  capital G as the Creator, thanking him for the gift of immanent life on stge.


For the second day in a row we each squeeze the hand of the cast member next to us tight and then hug each other and wish each other a good show.


For the second day in a row we configure a human halo by linking our wrists and closing our eyes and taking several deep breaths. There is a collective plosive sigh sounding almost like a sneeze when Pam tells us to release the breath in unison.


For the second day in a row there is a sort of energy, a tingle, several of the younger kids will claim that hey hear a tingling or see people in white walking around backstage.


Some of the soccer moms are calling the group meditation before the performance a “low key new age ritual”  We do make-up. We do vocal warm ups.



We prepare for the show.


 This is the second day is a row dawn does my make-up. She smiles when I see her.

She does my make-up again seated in front of me like she is giving me a lapdance.


There is a different feeling when she is putting on my make-up.


 I hate this but I don’t mind you touch my face.

 Dawn smiles.

The portly soccer mom with the clipboard is caroling out places, holding her clipboard next to the side of her mouth as is she is trying to register an echo. Dawn smiles at me.


“You gonna be back on stage left again? I mean, I really enjoyed talking with ya yesterday.”

Dawn smiles. She tells me that she shouldn’t miss our verbal dalliance for the world.


Dalliance.

While I am walking upstairs I note a recent copy of TIME magazine loafing in a half-scrolled crease next to the coach in for whatever purposes constitutes the green room. As I hold and unfurl it Ross Perot’s bulbous and billionaire forehead   pop-up as if in a children’s book. I have not paid ort to the news in the last week, consciously avoiding the headlines in the ink-scroll I deliver  every morning. Apparently Ross Perot has dropped out of the race even though early June polls showed him with a substantial lead over both Bush and Clinton.  As I open it up and peruse the article I  am flooded with images of the bespectacled lad who always wore the Ross Perot t-shirt in French class reading the article exploding in a nest of tears.

 

Ross Perot is no more.

“Charlie!!” I head a voice. I am being summoned again

 

My train for River city is leaving.

 

The second night of our performance is about to begin.


                                                                             ***



 


                       The backstage of Peoria Players theatre is convex-shape slab of cement heavily graffiti’d with past Plays and the years they were produced.  There is Cats in ’84 and Oklahoma in ‘91. Little Shop of Horrors in 1989. There is Bye Bye Birdie in ’87 and Godspell just last spring. The mural is an elongated jigsaw frieze of collecting narratives, a hodgepodge blockade, a plume of theatrical shows past. There is something kaleidoscopic and almost nostalgic about staring at the tombstones of past productions; knowing that the cast and company worked their ass off, stayed up late memorizing line,  monopolized hours choreographing numbers lasting only five minutes, spent weekend constructing stage props that would later be dismantled and abandoned, wore make-up, fell madly in love, all in the same stage you are currently performing, on in the attempt to deliver a production for strangers in a mid-sized town, granting them 3 hours of entertainment and then, gone.







Downstairs there is always a 10 gallon water jug of powdery orange drink for the cast to sip between intervals awaiting on-stage cues.
For the second day in a row I spent the majority of the production on stage left talking with Dawn. For the second day in a row Dawn is telling me that I look exactly like that kid from Blossom, adding that it is weird.
For the second day in the row I become mesmerized by Dawn’s prominent features. Her face is ivory, almost chalky flavor to her forehead.  For a second day in a row I am awed by Dawn’s scholastic well-readness.

 Dawn’s scent is different from that of Andrea’s. You can tell that Dawn spends more time occluded in a geometric carrel of the school’s library then she does basking beneath the overhead brow of the mid-July sun. There is something overtly pallid and vitamin deficient in the locution of her limbs that in a way is sexy.  When Dawn tilts her head backs and laugh at my vain attempts make a witticism simply to christen a smile across a face I cannot see, only to recognize off-stage left via the mutable nylon of her cast shadow , the contiguous mt.ranges of our silhouettes vying into a singular shield of fluctuating tint.
Every time Dawn says that I look just like the older brother off of Blossom I almost expect her to pull a Zaneeta and say ye Gads.


 

On stage the Pik-a-little talk-a-little bit is punctuating.  It is our second day together. Dawn and I sit far stage left. Scott looks like he just smoked something green and extremely rolled as he awaits the cue for the stage curtain. We are making small talk. On stage 76 trombones is ready to begin with a school board harangue about keeping our young boys pure.

Today we are talking about music.  Dawn is wearing one of the round ragtime hats the members of the school board slash barber shop quartet wear. She is crouched in fetus posture with her fingers wreathed around the caps of her knees.

 

Scott is still looking at us and just nods as if we are transgressing. We are talking about Music. We are talking about sounds that moves us. Dawn is talking about bands I have never heard of before. Bands with synthetized emotional allegro attached to their avant garde label. Bands whose name evokes European vowels sunbathing under the oscillating strobe –lit electronic sun next to an aluminum sea. Bands with names like Oingo Boingo and Concrete Blonde and XTC and New Order and Midnight Oil.   Bands with names like Yaz and Erasure and the Cure.

Bands that are not played on main stage radio.
Bands that are considered alternative whatever that moniker happens to mean.
Bands I faintly know of thanks to sampling David Best’s older brother Ben’s cool music collection.
It astounds me that dawn doesn’t listen to KZ93 except on Sunday night when they have a British DJ and are known as Channel Z and play quote modern rock alternative.
 
She tells me that she is into Vinyl albums. She tells me that she has spent the last three months listening to Jesus Christ Superstar on vinyl.
“It’s a rock opera. Performed by members of Deep Purple.”
I have never heard the term rock Opera before.  
Due to the refraction of light splintering off stage left in individual holy water flecks there is a chiaroscuro valence of silence dripping over our conversation. It feels like we are milking out our individual personas seeped in recursive film noir.  I can make out her smile. I can make out the nuanced sail of her forehead. Sometimes our shadows separate and sometimes our shadows briefly coalesce and sometimes it looks like our shadows form ancient hieroglyphics splatters across Hello Dolly ’79.
I tell her that I mainly listen to Gangster rap cause I stem from the hood. I tell her that if she likes, I can quote the opening stanza from N.W.A’s straight outta Compton about a crazy mother fucker named Ice Cube.
Dawn states no, it’s okay. Really.
“Oh and I listen to alotta thrash metal too. Suicidal tendencies and Metallica and Guns-n-Roses.”
Dawn smiles as if she has just sipped something sour. I feel I can’t compete. I have never heard of any of the bands whose glory she is espousing.
Somehow I see the furled TIME magazine lounged like a flaccid telescope near the staircase. I think about Ross Perot and about French class and about Madame Breton and Depeche Mode.
“Depeche Mode!!” I tell her, stating I really have culture even though all I have is VIOLATOR at home.
Dawn Smiles. I ask her if she likes Depeche mode.

 

Dawn Smiles.
 
 
 

“I used to go out to Stage Two all the time only I wouldn’t dance. I would just sit there when my friends danced. The only song I would ever dance to is Just Can’t Get enough.  When Just Can’t Get enough would begin to play I would just lose it. I couldn’t control myself. I would go crazy on the dance floor.”

I smile. I am on a roll even though I have only heard Violator. I have never heard Depeche Mode’s earlier stuff.

 

I decide to stick to the British Isles, although I venturing a tad west.

 

“Yeah, and there’s his Irish singer named Enya. It’s kinda weird.  I listen to alotta Gangsta rap and alotta thrash metal and then there’s Enya.”

Dawn looks at me like a doe stunned by a Taser.

 
 

 
“I love Enya.” Dawn says, alluding that she has a beautiful voice.

“I really don’t know how I got into her. My best friends older sister used to come home late at night and  play her first album at two in the morning.”

 

Dawn asserts again that Enya has a beautiful voice. She says that she is familiar with her music from two movies I have never heard of before.Midway through our conversation Dawn leaves and helps Anthony with him two second change before Marian the Librarian number. I continue to lose myself in the names of expired shows. Amadeus in ’83. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. My Fair Lady. I wonder if the cast and company of the shows experienced the unity and joy and the histrionics and the love that our cast has discerned. She has been gone for less than a minute an already I miss Dawn. I miss her voice. I miss how every time I talk to her it feels like my ACT vocab will go up three points.

 

From behind me I can see Dawn assisting Harold Hill with his change. Hill is stripping. He is practically naked clad only in his briefs and Dawn is assisting to dress him with fellow make-up ladies.

The look like they are decorating a moving Christmas tree with slacks and tinsel.

 I lounge against the warren of props culled from the dissected  remnants of past shows.  When I look behind me she is there again, almost like a leprechaun.\

It is Betsy. She is gigging.

“Hey munchkin.” I tell her, trying to get rid of her.

“I have a question for you Tharlie?” She asks. I smile. She lisps worse than Winthrop.

“When you are with Th’arion the thigh pharian on stage and you kiss her do you really th'iss?”

I smile. She is eight. Part of me wants to ruffle her hair beneath her derby cap.


 “It’s kinda of a fake kiss.” I say.

“A thake th’ist?”

“Yeah, you see, we just sort of hold each other real close and then  tilt each other a certain way and overlap our chins so it gives the audience the perception that we are actually making out, when in actuality we are barely touching each other.”

Betsy giggles. She is holding both of her hands together close to her chin as if in prayer.

"Th'ome of the th'adults were thaying that you th'actually thist her the other night and thit th'was th'inappropriate."

"Hey," I say, Betsy is laughing hysterically.

'They th'aid you even thist her thith the th'ongue."

"Aliright munchkin," I pick her up, she is on the ground with laughter.

'Do you think you will thist Dawn with the th’ongue?"

"That's enough." I say, she is on the ground. I begin to tickle her sides. One of the sexually frustrated soccer moms with the clipboard puts her finger to her lips and blows like  somebody has just finished caroling happy birthday.

The opening chords of Marion the Librarian plaintively begin to grumble above the  heads of the audience. Stacia walks past. When she sees me talking to Betsy she shoots me a look as if to say so you are flirting with third graders now.


  Betsy quickly gets up and runs to her place off stage.

“Isn’t it weird I mean, you are dressing him and he is in his underwear and everything.”

Dawn just seminally blushes and then gestures her hand like a tossed napkin as if to say it is really no big deal.

 “That kid is adorable,” I tell Dawn, pointing at Betsy who is performing a dance that looks like she is skipping in place.


Dawn smiles and concurs.


 “Her sister is actually the make-up lady you got into with the first night.”

 
 My lips form what I can only surmise is a look of shock.

 

“Yeah, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I’ve known little Betsy all my life since she was four years old.”


We’ve been friends all through high school . It’s kind of funny. We are all best friends and our names are all Dawn. We’re notoriously known in the hallways of Richwoods high school as the 3 Dawns because we are always together between classes. Since there’s three dawn’s they call me Dawn-Michelle.

 

 I tell Dawn that I like that. I tell her that my two best friends are named David and one of them actually has the last name of Best.

 “Their last names are Best and Hale. Love the hell out of those guys. Would do anything for them.”

“It’ll be really cool then when you guys are all in high school next year. It'll be just like what we have.”

I pause.

“It’s not like that. We all three go to the same church and went to the same grade school only Hale and Best will be going to Limestone. Best is already a year ahead of me. Both of them pretty much grew up in the south side and both of their parents’ didn’t want their kids to go to Manual. Didn’t think it was that safe.”

Dawn shoots me a look like she thought I was older.

“My twin brothers are going to be a freshman at Richwoods and you certainly seem more mature then the respective sum of both their years.”

Dawn asks me if I am really excited about high school then. She stated that Manual actually had a pretty decent speech team only the majority of students are seniors.

“There’s really not many friends from my grade school attending and the ones who are going I just despise. Can’t stand. I do have an older friend named Tim who lives down the street and a friend named Pat whose parents just can’t stand Manual because they think it was a backdrop set from Boyz in the Hood.”

 Dawn asks me if I am doing any plays when I am at Manual. I tell her I don’t know.

“I’m a runner. I’ve been running road races since I was nine years old. It’s really all I wanted to do with my life. Last year I went to state. I almost won. I’ve already trained with the Manual Cross Country team a couple of times this summer and Coach thinks I should be ready to run varsity at the beginning of the season.

Dawn looks at me like she is impressed. I tell her again how cool it is that Dawn likes Enya. Dawn tells me again that she has a beautiful voice.  Dawn uses the word Diaphanous. 

Stacia floats past wearing a drape. She looks like a flower ghost petal.

 

“Excuse me,” I tell Dawn, walking into the direction of the stage.

 

There is something I need to do.

 

                                                                                 ***

 

“You can talk all you want to but it’s different than it was…”

 


                                                                                  ***



 
 

I need to make peace with Stacia. She has been ignoring me the entire production. I want to tell her that it is all cool. I want to tell her that I really don’t care if she went all the way with Anthony the other night. I want to tell her that I more or less just got off from lavishing in the echoed breeze of her voice when I spent all those nights monopolized on the phone with her.

As completely corny as it sounds, I want to tell her that she is a special human being.

Backstage the Pik-a-dilly ladies are flitting into their drapes to perform the one Grecian Urn and a fountain line-dance. Stacia has her hair up in a lily pad above her skull. I walk up next to her as if I am learning how to idle near the curb.

“Pretty amazing show last night,” I say, trying to remain nonchalant hell.

Stacia ignores me. She performs a half-pirouette getting ready for her incumbent number.

“Hey, I was just wondering if tonight, after the show, maybe I can call you or something. You know, watch the nectarine fizz of the dawn as it blinks over the horizon.”

Stacia looks back at me. I swear her chin elevates in the condescending holier-than-thou plutocratic manner of Mrs Shinn.


“You would know all about watching dawns now wouldn’t you.”



“What?” I say, befuddled.

 

“Dawn, the wanna-be make-up lady. She has been drooling all over you. Everyone is talking.” She says, sounding like Couri.

I’m shocked. I stand with my mouth lodged open like an open moat gate unable to swallow.

 

“The make-up lady? We’re just friends. It’s cool hanging out with someone since I’m not involved in the bulk of the show.”

 

Stacia says whatever. She performs a fouette en tourant which looks more like a Bruce Lee jump Kick in my direction.

 

“Hey,” I say, grappling her shoulders in an attempt to quell her undulation. She stops and scowls. She is biting both her lips so that it looks like there is either a hyphen or a minus sign splayed below the bridge of her septum. She grabs my arms and pushes me back.

 
“Charlie you just don’t get it!!!”


Stacia is yelling. Misses Graves who is in charge of the costumes is looking at me as if I am endeavoring to commit statutory rape.


‘Hey, I was just..”

“Charlie, no!! I have to rehearse. Why is everything so crazy with you! Go back to your Dawn. Go back to the make-up girl with the elite vocabulary and who thinks she knows everything.”

“What are you talking about?”


“Everything Charlie!! Everything!! Why can’t you be a normal human being!?! Why do you have to be all crazy all the time like!! There’s more to life than is happening in the script behind your head!!!”

I have my palms pressed out in the universal sign of surrender. When I try walking towards her suddenly I am yanked back. Paula Graves has her arm wielded around my torso. Stacia is still erupting. It is like she is breaking up a fight. I am being pushed off off-stage. Misses Graves is wearing a doo-rag around the top of her head as is she is auditioning for a role in Harriet Tubman the musical. Mrs. Graves whose daughter is Amaryllis and who lives in the large two-story  sallow flavored house on my paper rout across the street from Bob and Frank and  exactly seven houses due east from the high school girl with the cool Irish parents  who I think about late at night clad only in bra and panty whose twin brother died last year after graduation. Mrs. Graves whose house I have delivered to assiduously and when I found out she was on my route the first thing she said was, “ Use a lousy paper boy,” which vehemently upset me at the time.

“Charlie baby,” She is saying, her arms around me life-persevere fashion, trudging me toward the stairs.

I stutter. I ask what is going on. From in front of me I can see Jenny and Couri making little tssking sounds with their lips
 

“What!”


“Just let her be Charlie, baby. Just let her be.”


I look back. I see Dawn on the far end awaiting for Anthony’s next quick change. I wonder what is going on.


“Just let her be. It’s been alotta crazy-ness around here, child. Just let her be.”


Mrs. Graves is talking to me like it is not my fault. She is talking to me like I am a friend.


The Pikadilly ladies float on stage in their togas  like  the wispy seeds of a white dandelion slowly becoming aborted in a presence of a uphill wind.

 Mrs. Graves is talking to me like she is Pam. She is telling me that it is not my fault Charlie baby. That there are some things going on but that it is not my fault.


“Just let Stacia be for a while. She’s in a lot of pain. There’s a lot more going on behind the curtain of the show than you are aware of. Just let her go baby. It is all good, child.”

 

It’s all good.

 

                                                                            ***

 

There is something about the configuration of an anvil. The dual Janus-chinned rhinoceros snout. The heaviness and girth plummeting like twin fisted gavels. The time signature to a Wagnerian opera never finished.

There is something about the gravity of anvils. The still-life intractability of the meted stump of steel. The immobility of a steel cloud pregnant with oz. of  rust. Cornerstone of hurt. Immoveable feast of pain.

It is all these years later and I am still the anvil salesman and there is weight.  Pounds I can’t slough. Gravity weighing. Anvils the size of planets coating the interior of my beer gut, anchoring me at bay, weighing me down, keeping me from taking off in a  wished-for summer breeze of hope.

Type cast as the stereotypical turn of the century anvil salesman wrought with weight and sentimental pounds he will never shed.

Not in a million reincarnated years.

       

                                                                 ***

 

I hear the Pikadilly ladies hop-scotch on stage. I sit down on a lone prop chair stationed next to the stairwell leading downstairs.  When I look on the far south side of the stage I can tell that Dawn is making a conscious vow not to look in the polar direction.  With my glasses off it looks like Dawn is stationed next to a fire hydrant until I squint and realize that she is seated next to Betsy.

Inexplicably I am beginning to sweat. It feels like my skull is a disco ball with swear marbles dappling off the slope of my forehead.

“Hey,”

I can’t understand why Stacia detests me. I can’t understand why four nights ago after performing before the fireworks at Glen Oak Park she was imploring me to hang out with her. I can’t comprehend why less than a week ago it seemed like we were on the juvenile pledge of something indelible and special.

 “Hey,” A voice croaks again. It is Mrs. Graves. She is handing me orange drink  served in a diminutive upside down triangular dunce cup.

“Don’t worry about it Charlie baby. Just give Stacia a couple o’ days. She’ll come around. “

I want to ask her why. I want Mrs. Graves to be the sociological filter. To be the talk show mediator. I direly want her to explicate just what I did wrong. I want to know why, over the  course of four waxing lunar shades Stacia is totally repulsed by me.



Instead I take another slurp of my orange drink. It sounds like I am sneezing as I quaff.

 

I feel Mrs. Graves palm on my shoulder. She is asking  me if everything is okay.

 

From stage I can hear the cartwheeling chords of Wells Fargo Wagon trundle into place. I know I have to be on the opposite side of the stage to help Scott sidle the Wagon on to the stage. Someone is singing that they got some salmon from Seattle last September.

 

Mrs. Graves looks at me. She seems to be the first person in the theatre tilling over costumes. Like Pam she always seems to be inside the theatre.      


“Shhhh!!! No more questions baby. You need to help Scott rove the Wells Fargo wagon onto to the stage.”

My orange drink served in the topsy harlequin pyramid is empty.

 

  There is just one singular question:

 

How was that paper of yours I delivered this this morning?”

 

Mrs. Graves looks back at me while walking out of the room.

 

“Charlie it was wonderful.” She says, with a smile.

  

                                                                      ***

 

“You okay?” Dawn Michelle says, pulling up a chair next to me, the triangular chalice in which I had previously been sipping my ethos-nourishing orange drink has been folded into cubist origami and abandoned on the ground.

 

“It’s just a crazy show. There’s a lot of kids. A lot of crazy stuff is going on.”

 

Dawn Michelle nods her head as if to say ah.

 

“That girl. Her name is Stacia. I thought we were pretty close. I mean, I really thought we had something special and important and timeless so to speak and in a way thought we had something really romantically going on and the whole time I was thinking this she was kinda seeing someone else. It’s just weird.”

 

Dawn looks back at me and nods in 4/4 time.

 

“So, she was like your girlfriend or something?”

 

I swipe my head.

 

“No it was more like, I don’t know. She was just incredibly flirtatious and friendly with me when I joined the cast. I kinda thought we had something but I guess we didn’t.”  

I am trying to digress. I don’t want Dawn to think that I am still madly in love with Stacia.

In a way I wish I could call Dawn up tonight and talk with her all night on the phone the way I used to with Stacia.

There are cues. The second half is beginning. I am to be on stage in five minutes.

 

When I am leaving Dawn turns to me.

 

“Hope you feel better,” She says,



She then cradles her arms around my waist. We are hugging. She is groping the back of my head digging it into her shoulder.  I volley back. It is not like we are trying to enter each other’s body. It is not like we are trying to slip into the crevices and hinges of each other’s flesh.


She is reeling me in. I don’t want to let go.

 

For some reason I feel like biting her shoulder.

 

She is nourishing me but there is more.

 

I think about Depeche Mode, one of the two bands we both have in common.
 
 

                                       

Somehow all I have ever wanted is stowed, if only for a moment, cradled in the fleshy bridge of my arms.

 

                                                                                ***

 

“She has a beautiful voice,” Dawn says, alluding to Enya again.


                      

                                                                            ***

At the end of the performance Stacia is in front of me as I am exiting the stage. I am walking in the direction of Dawn almost as if in slow motion. When I get imminently off stage I am thwarted by Scott.

 

“Hey man, I meant to tell you, Pam wanted you to go to the lobby.”

 

I say what. I wonder if I am being reprimanded.

 

“No she just said that you had to go to the lobby to see something, I’m sure. I was supposed to tell you after the Rock Island number. I forgot.”

 

I walk towards the lobby. Past the herd of egressing patrons forming upside down scissors with their legs.

 As I am leaving Betsy continues to lovingly follow me around like an unwanted shadow.

 “Don’t you have friends you own age you can play with? They are probably wondering where you are.”

I have a few. Betsy says. She is behind me. It seems when I am not hanging out with Dawn I am hanging out with Betsy.

 “My thither is Th’awns’ th’est th’end. Dawn used to baby sit us all the time.”

 Dawn’s adorable. She’s amazingly well read too.

“Betsy looks down and says pheah. She’s really smart.

Betsy tells me that she has sister named Thawn.

“Your last name is Weatherfield. Your dad is a judge.”

 

 Betsy tells me that yeah, her dad works all the time.

 “Sometimes He th’entences people. I don’t think he th’ikes th’it. “

 

Yeah I say.

 

In the lobby I see Paula Graves. She is socializing with several board members.

 

“Pam wanted me to come out here,” I say. Paula smiles and points. Near the intermission snack table there is a sign:

 
 





It is being play by David Von Behren. The soccer mom with the Commodore 64 who made the sign  forgot to put the verb play in the past tense.  On the bottom of the sign there is the he ubiquitous happy/melancholic thespian masks.

 

Somehow I am still playing that role in the first person narrative today.

 

“What is that?”

 Betsy inquires, Blinking her eyes.

 

It’s a sign. They accidentally forgot to put my name in the program so they made a sign acknowledging that I played the part.

 

That th’eams th’oo thare Thesial.” Betsy adds.

“What?”

‘Th’ecial.”

 

Instead of kicking my shin she forms a petite fist and punches my thigh, hard enough that it evokes a verbal ouch. I feel like I am having a mystery-meat lunch influenced influenza of Deja Vu as she turn and runs, dodging through the oncoming traffic of kneecaps, elbows chugging like pistons.


She wants me to chase her around the theatre until she gets caught so she can hit me again.



But I can’t.

 

I am anvil heavy. It is as if there is tautly-round organ play-doughed in my soon to be fifteen year own flesh is shaped like an anvil, anchoring me down.

 

I go home and listen to Depeche mode. I think about the girl who refuses to dance on the floor at Stage Two unless Just can’t get enough is playing.

 

A song I have never heard before.




 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment