There is an unspoken mandate that we alternate calling each other every night between 4:14-4:30. Every time I call her I swipe off my glasses and look at myself in my parents mirror and lie on the bed where in all probability I was conceived, humming out her number in tonal assonance waiting as she picks up the phone. Other days the phone will vibrate and one of my sisters will pick up then carol out my name that I have a phone call knowing the name of the voice fluttering on the other end. Exactly one-third of the time Renae calls she has just arrived home after band practice and she has either Amy or Laura in her room.

 

Apparently her bedroom is painted pink and there is a life size poster of James Dean.





Renae heavily insinuates again that she wants to see a scary movie.


 


            “The thing is when you go to a scary movie with your boyfriend and you get scarred they always hold you tighter.”


 

I make an ill-timed joke asking Renae if the scariest movie our good friend david Best ever too her to was Ernest goes to camp. Renae lets out a soprano like smirk.

 

            “He just wasn’t the romantic type.”


The green Gideon bible is always lodged in my right pocket.

 

Inside it I keep a picture of Renae Holiday.

 

I am in love with Jesus.

 

I am in love with Renae Holiday.
 
Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment