The optimal effect of the quote paperboy experience....




Coach Ricca is standing in the door. I wonder if he heard about my tiff with Aron Rothman. I wonder if he is asking what got into me this morning when I lashed at my adversary from the past seven years, the bully who is sixth grade before a basketball game, along with Mario Rutherford, found a jock-strap with human feces in the visitors locker room, pushed me down in the corner and placed it on my head like a bonnet.

I wonder if somehow my rage is justified.


Coach is standing. There is a smile on his face. Coach Mann struts to the door in his professional gait welcoming Coach Ricca.


“Yes, David please.”


Coach Mann tells the following Coach that he is a burgeoning scholar. I walk towards the door. Coach has a giant manila envelope. I don’t look at Aron Rothman.  I wonder if Coach is expelling me from the upcoming track team after hearing about my fight this morning. I wonder if the manila envelope he is brandishing contains some sort of disciplinary contract for me to sign.

I say hello to coach Ricca without looking him directly in the eye.


“David,” he says. There is a look of pride eking into his lips.


I tell coach that


“Here are your recommendations for the upcoming contest.”


I am stunned. I figured he would just send them to the Journal Star.


“Here’s two copies. One is for you just in case they lose it. One is for the Judges at the Journal Star contest.”


I am stunned. I am embarrassed. I don’t know exactly what Coach will say about me.


“Also, Coach Winkler wants to speak with you. Indoor track starts Monday the 18th. We’ll issuing lockers.”


Coach says that even though it is too cold to practice on the track we run in the hallways after school. 

Unlike Cross-country Manual is a powerhouse in Track. They win the Conference on a yearly basis. Football/basketball players make up the bulk of their short distance.


Everything over the 400 meters is considered long.


“We’ll have you running some races for us in indoor track. Coach Winkler is excited.”

I nod. I can feel Aron Rothman scowling behind my skull. Coach places the two envelopes back inside the giant manila envelope.


“When is the contest?”




I tell him the contest is in  two weeks.
“Well good look. You’ve certainly earned it.”
I don’t read Coach Ricca’s recommendation. I embarrassed. I feel he is going to mention my injury.
I give dad the copy we are to keep and mother the copy that goes to the Journal Star.
Dad reads the recommendations and smiles. He takes his glasses off.

“This is one of the most beautiful letters I have ever read.”

No comments:

Post a Comment