Day 6: April 18, 1993: first day in London






It is morning and it is our first day in London. The phone is sunbathing on my bare chest as I wake up. Light the color of TANG is staining the room orange. Outside traffic intermittently hisses past. We are facing a row of Victorian townhouses with no alleys between them. I am confused. I am still looking for Harmony. Justin is out for the count with a half-pack of the Fig Newtons my mother gave me next to his bed.

 The second I place the phone on the receiver it rings. I think it is Harmony. It turns out it is Trevor asking if we are up yet.

“Wake Iowa up. Big Day today. London baby!”

unaltered itinerary
I hang up the phone. It is 6:30. I remember flirting with Harmony on the phone and being on some sort of a continental ship and trying to find her and watching her roommate with no underwear lick her fingers as if she had just consumed a chicken dinner before touching parts of her body I didn’t know existed telling me that Harmony will never be mine.  I step into my jeans and give Justin several petulant shrugs informing him that Trevor just called and we need to get downstairs for breakfast and then meet in the lobby.

“I didn’t get any sleep. You were on the phone the entire night."

I tell him that’s not true. I tell him I was off the phone by one.
“Just come down to the lobby when you are ready bro,” I open the door and look both ways, making sure I am no longer stalked by half-naked inebriated English teachers before heading downstairs.

Breakfast in London is also a buffet.  I help myself to a scoop of eggs and sausage gravy. There are a couple members of Zeke’s group who are not Zeke and who ignore me when I look in their general direction and a couple members of Dan’s group eating what looks like oatmeal flooded in juice. Breakfast is completely optional. The pleasant lad from Alabama comes in wearing his fanny pack and sits down next to me.There is no Mark. There is an older kid named Nathaniel and one named Jonathon who is from Michigan whose last name is the country of God’ Chose race. There is a crisp blonde headed kid named Connor who could be Mark’s body-double who has already been interviewed by Lynn Minton in Stratford and who walks around like he inadvertently sat on the remote control to what I am learning Brit's commonly refer to as the Telly.

I am looking for Mark.

 I keep thinking that Harmony was going to call me back. I can’t understand why she seemed so excited to hear my voice one minute and the next she seems completely elusive the next. There seems to be nonstop chatter about stopping at the Hard Rock Café. I look at the lad from Alabama and inquired how he slept last night. He returns a smile. Several more members of the Big Ten including my roommate straggle inside the breakfast area. Jim says that Spencer was on the phone for five hours straight last night with Dandelion then makes a rattling motions with his torso. He asks me if I ever hooked up with that drunk guy in the hallway I still swear is my English teacher. I am through with the Big Ten.  I get up informing the Big Ten that I will meet them in the lobby. There is no reason to return to my room since I already have my wallet on me and my camera in my jacket. As I enter the lobby I bump into her, for the second straight morning.

It is Rita. I have not seen her since leaving Blenheim yesterday.

“Hey!” I say, there is a smile wondering why I always bump into her but can never seem to find Harmony.

She is smiling at me. There is something about the magnetic yank of Rita’s smile that pinches at the bottom of my chest. For inexplicable reasons she is by herself. She always seems to be by herself every time I see her. She is always smiling. She is always looking at me as if she is happy to see me.
Part of me wants to give her a hug.

I have finished eating breakfast but I walk back in  the dining area with her. I am getting another java refill while she gets a tray when Josh and the girl with the exorbitant blush walks in wearing gym clothes. For the second day in a row it appears that I have missed running.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know the group was going out running this morning.”

Josh informs me that they did not.

“Dan said he wanted to have a day in London to scope out a place for us to run before taking off and not being able to find our way back home.”

“Then why are you guys dressed up in your workout clothes?”       
Josh is smiling. His girlfriend with all the blush blushes even more as if they have a shared secret.

“We didn’t want to miss out on a day of running so we put our workout clothes on and went to the lobby and stretched for fifteen minutes.”

“You stretched?” Both Josh and his girlfriend are smiling. His girlfriend adds that they even did Pilates. I ask Josh if he is going running tomorrow morning. Josh says that he will let me know.

Rita has gotten her tray and is eating. She is always by herself. It doesn’t make any sense. She seems to dissolve every other hour into the British ether.

I try to make small talk. I ask her how she thinks about London so far.

She is nothing but smiles.

“I can’t believe how huge it is.” She cuts into her eggs.  She says that she is from Kenosha Wisconsin and the largest city she has ever been to is where her grandma lives in someplace called Appleton.

“Yeah, I’ve been to the  Dells.” I say, trying to make small talk. At the world Dells she breaks off laughing.

Rita is always laughing. I just cannot get enough of her smile.

“The Dells are so touristy.” She has a beautiful smile, it is reeling me in. From my peripheral vision I observe several members of Harmony’s group walk in sans Harmony.

“I have a question for you? How come you are never hanging out with your group?”

She responds by asking me the same query. I say touché. I ask again though.

“I mean, every time I see you you are by yourself. You are like this mystical ghost and you are always by yourself and you just seem to appear in blinks.”


Rita continues to smile and laugh. She slices into her eggs again in a surgical fashion.


“Yes, I’m a ghost. I’m not real. No one in this room can see you talking to me. From their vantage point you are having a conversation with an invisible rabbit named Harvey.”

She begins to laugh. For a second I wonder if I am being schizophrenic.

“I’m real silly,” She says flashing me that smile before asking me if I am real by stating are you?


“I’m not sure anymore.” I say, falling just a little bit in love with Rita’s smile, her laugh, her eyes.


                                                                              ***
In the lobby I am next to gilded Stag.  We are scheduled to leave in ten minutes. Trevor is walking around the room making sure everyone in the Big Ten is accounted for.

There is no sight of Harmony. Near the elevators I can make out Sam and Vinny. Bodies clad in crimson jackets are beginning to brew in the lobby. I have rather stoically decided that the Big Ten has nothing to offer me. I have rather stoically decided that I want to spend and much time socializing with any male or female outside my group whose name is not Ezekiel Bosh-Midden .

As is the case there is no Harmony in sight. A girl with amazing teeth and red furls is smiling behind me. At first I think it is Greta only it is not. She has freckles. She is British tour guide umbrella skinny. She looks like a cross between Olive Oil and Pippi Longstocking.

“So you are the one everyone says is either Harry Connick or the older brother off of Blossom.”

I add a what. She is smiling. It feels like she is stepping out of a smile. I extend my hand.

“No My name is David Actually. I’m from Illinois.”

The girl with the fiery red hair inquires where. I tell her Peoria. She says where.

“Think of the entire configuration of the state of Illinois as being one large elongated liver and somehow Peoria is cancer-riddled splotch in the center.”

“No,” She says, as if stamping her foot. I lash back. I say what.

“You’re not from Peoria. Peoria is in Arizona.”

“No Peoria is in Illinois. That is where I am from.”

“You are not from Peoria. she says, self-assuredly. Her freckles are constellations. You can tell she won every spelling bee she ever entered in grade school.”

“I’m from Arizona. There’s a Peoria, Arizona. The only Peoria is in Arizona.”

I tell her that Peoria was christened as a city long before Peoria Arizona came in being. I tell her that Peoria was the name of an Indian tribe.

“No, I just wanted to meet you because I want to meet everyone on this trip and people always say that you look either like Harry Connick Jr. or that one guy from Blossom but I honestly have to confess after having met you that you don’t resemble either of them.”

“What?”

“Plus you talk like, really fast. It seems like you are nervous all the time. It seems like you are waiting for something that has already arrived yet you have failed to see it more yet glean the significance or it.

I ask her what.

She turns around and says that it is nice meeting you David.

From behind me I hear a chuckle.

“So I see you’ve met our Wendy.”

It is Sam. I admire his jocularity.

“Yeah that’s our Wendy. She meets, she diagnoses, she conquers, she moves on. Our Wendy.”

Yes indeed.

I tell Sam last time I spoke with  red headed Wendy of that renown at least I got a frosty and a baked potato out of it. Sam laughs and tells me that he doesn’t get it. I tell him to forget it. Next to me Sam’s roommate Vinny is continuing to chronicle the trip via camcorder.

“And-uh-ya, this is where our good friend Tony gets dissed  by everyone’s favorite Our Wendy.”
I tilt my head. Instead of giving him the finger I make a puppet face with my right hand snapping shush in a yawn.

“Why do you refer to her as Our Wendy.”

Vinny is still filming he doesn’t miss a beat.

“Because she’s the third person feminine pronoun. She’s the tiara. She the all. She’s the goddess.

“She’s Our Wendy.”

The lobby is continuing to fill. The Big Ten are all flirting with members of Daisy’s group, all of whom appear to be fawning their heads back like they expect to be rescued. Kenny is still wearing his Spin Doctors Discman and picks several of them up below the caps of their knees as if to show his strength.  There is a subtle jab on my back shoulder. It is Mark.

“Hey bro,” I say. He is wearing a cool jacket. I tell him that I missed him at breakfast. He says that he slept in,

“So, you excited about seeing London. You excited about seeing the Hard Rock café?”
Mark nods rather stoically like a male model. Out of nowhere, inexplicably, Mark begins to sound like an encyclopedia Britannica.

“It was the first Hard Rock Café, founded in 1971.”

I am trying to be witty. I quote Wayne’s World. I tell Mark that Garth, I was not aware of that.
He is stating that there is an Eric Clapton guitar and one of Madonna’s burlesque outfit with white dunce cones for boobs available to view.

Again I tell him that I was not aware of that. I say that most people just want to go to Hard Rock Café to get the shirts.

Mark mentions a military coat worn by John Lennon. He mentions the Who and Cream.

Mark, the most brilliant creature I have ever met.

There is a Big Ten give it up.  I slap Mark’s hand and tell him that I will see him soon.

Sir Charles is at the bus verifying everyone is on board.





“Alright boys, it’s time for London. London here we come.”