Letter to Greta circa myspace April, 2007

Dearest Greta,

Always an unbidden pleasure cyber-sauntering across a fellow Young Columbus alum!!! Especially one who appears to be a fellow writer as well!!!!! All apologies in advance for cultivating yer' curiosity. My name is David Von Behren and I'm a writer living in Peoria, Illinois. Half-a-lifetime ago I was on a trip that changed virtually every facet of my life and over the last five years I've been (very) sporadically chiseling out a memoir about that spring time European sojourn entitled "Pinta Parade" or “On the ashes of his Youth Doth Lie,”  I mostly write very big David Foster Wallace/George Saunders influenced postmodern tomes licked with failure and joy and endeavor to stave away from the sentimental-solipsistic "listen to the story of my life" memoir shit, but there was something about that trip which more or less sculpted out the ethos of my identity, ameliorated my perspective of the planet and, invariably ushered me into the world of art as both a passion and vocation.

At the time of the trip, I was a Freshman at an inner-city high school which boasted the lowest I-sat scores in the state and the highest teen pregnancy rate in the nation. I had never flown before and there was something ethereal and sifting anchor-inside-chest heavy about that fleeting dream cavort with strangers--being fifteen years of age and being reeled off into a foreign copse for ten days with total scarlet-coated strangers from disparate vistas of the US--watching as the planet opens and closes like a misty sentimental lavender sunset yawn over the Thames only to be yanked back, two weeks later, into your own reality, the circular glob of red-coated adolescent strangers who seemingly swallowed your every step suddenly vanished and lost and gone leaving the indelible Polaroid of your heart just a tad faded.

This year I decided to say "fuck It" and finish Pinta Parade. The book is about 200 pages as is, but I figured the best way to do justice to the trip was to "relive" the trip day-by-day as it transpired--I anticipate the novel being done in late April and finalized sometime early fall.  Dredging up fossils of an ashy expired youth can be perilous but I would love to hear any recollections or memories you might have from that trip. I found you on myspace by searching through an old list of winners (sorry if you found it invasive). I’ve found only a handful of other cohorts from our trip, and they are all now fat and with children.

 I remember you vaguely from the trip having a conversation about vegetarianism with you as well as your “deep thoughts” skit.

Anyway if you have time or feel like reminiscing I would love to wallow in your memories from that sojourn—If not, no big deal at all. From the sight of your profile it sounds like you are a playwright???? Helluva life isn’t it, girl?

All the best and in the immortal words of Rumi, “Let the beauty you love, be what you do,”  and intrinsically who you are….

All the best and let the Beauty you love be what you do,

David Von Behren


No comments:

Post a Comment