Vinny





I have no clue how Sam got my number.  The hallways are strangely devoid of red jackets as  scamper to the elevator.  Even from down the hall I can hear Eagle Scout Josh publically grouse that that boy takes nothing serious, running, working with his group.  He is a floor above Harmony. When I get off the elevator he is already waiting for me.
“Tony, hey man,” There is no smile. There is only a look of concern smeared across his usually jovial lips.
“You alright man, what’s going on?”
Sam looks both ways as if crossing the street where there is no street to cross.
Listen, I just want to thank you again for helping m out last night on the boat when I was feeling depressed and all. I mean, you really helped me out just by listening to me and I can’t tell you how much I appreciated that.”
I nod. I tell Sam that is was no Big deal, brother.
“No, I mean it. I appreciate it more than you know. I was feeling really depressed. You know, forlorn. If you weren’t that I might have done something stupid and jumped or something and marred the trip for everyone. I mean, you really helped me out and I appreciated it more than I can put into words. You should be a therapist someday. You really help people when they are down and you are really good.”
Sam is stammering. I am still confused as to what he is talking about. Upstairs I can hear Eagle Scout Josh yelp that his brilliant skit is not going to work out. I wonder if Sam just called me up there to express gratitude. I don’t know what to say to him. I slap my right hand on his left shoulder and tell him anytime.
“Well now we have another problem we just found out about once we arrived back from Windsor castle.”
“What?”
“It’s Vinny.”
Vinny.
I remember watching Vinny get carted off by hotel security this morning and how everyone is Sam’s group thought that he was getting in trouble with British intelligent since videotaped the Crown Jewels. Vinny who wants to be a Hollywood director someday. 
“Is he okay? I mean, I saw him this morning with the hotel manager or whatever.”
Sam puts his finger to his lips and blows over it as if it is a nozzle as two girls from bus three giggle past.
“Yeah, its fine, its just that, while we were getting ready to see the Lord Mayor of London Ninny got a telegram from the states from his folks in which his younger brother, I mean, he’s like in sixth grade, apparently tried to commit suicide earlier this morning.”
I gasp. Sam once again shushes his breath over his finger.
Before I can ask if Vinny is okay Sam answers the question by stating that apparently when Vinny found out the news he smashes a lamp against the hall.  We’va all been hanging out with him but he’s just real self reflective you know?
I don’t but I nod.
“Anyway, I was wondering if you could met with him. You know, just hang out for couple minutes. Talk to him. Make his feel like you made me feel last night when I was feeling kind of down.”
                                                                    ***
 
“I’m squeezing it you know.”



“What?”



“I’m squeezing the David and thinking about you.”



“……”



“Not thinking lustful thoughts now are ye?”



“You sounded just like Jennifer Flood for a second.”



“It’s just that---“




“……..”



“In a couple of days this will all be over and we will be back seven hours away returning from this fairy tale all over."

Harmony blinks her eyes twice. She tells me that she knows.


                                                                         ***





My sister threw most of my Young Columbus stuff away after my mom died so I nave nothing left from that time.”
“Nothing?”
“Nothing.”
"I have nothing left from that trip David. No coat. No ho bag. No photographs. Everything I had my sister  threw away. "

Everything I had salvaged from that time is now gone forever.

Ad infinitum.
Gone.
 
 
                                                             ***
 
When I come in the room Vinny is on the phone. He keeps saying Yeah-maw and uh-huh.  There is another lad from Sam’s group, presumably Vinny’s roommate in the room. On the phone Vinny refers to his little brother as junior. I feel like turning around and telling Sam that I really have no clue what to say to Vinny. I feel like telling him that I’m not a professional therapist. I want to ask Sam if he was really so despondent last night that he thought about jumping into the Thames.

Vinny hangs up the phone. I am still not entirely sure what to say to him. Outside I can see Harrington Gardens, the traffic hushing past. From this vantage point the traditional black taxis look like animated watermelon seeds.  Vinny’s roommate is lanky and has rather sheepish looking bangs.
“Hey,” I look at Vinny, I’m not entirely sure what to say.
“Oh, hey Tone.” Vinny says. He knows me solely as Tony. I am not ever sure if he knows my real name.
It is the first time I have seen Vinny w.out the ubiquitous camcorder wedged in his eye.
I look at Sam. Sam makes a motion like a first base coach goading me to go over and talk with him. I have no clue what to say.
“We’ll well just let you guys hang out for a bit.” Sam says. He waves leaving the room, followed by Vinny’s roommate. I am still not entirely sure what is going on.
I sit next to Vinny on the bed. The circles around his eyes are the same color as Miss Arkansas only something tells me that his tears are more bona fide.
“So, rough day?”
“Yeah,” Tony tells me. The traffic outside continues to skirl past.
I want to say something that will comfort Tony. I want to make him feel better. I want to make assure him that everything is going to be okay. It is nearing 5pm. Outside shadows loom on the white Victorian townhouses.  Back home my classmates are leaving Mr. Reents Frosh debate headed towards B lunch. Back home there is a track meet vs. Central tonight.  Back home Angie Lighthouse is wearing slightly tattered jean shorts. In a way I am semi-pissed that Sam hurled me in a semi-awkward situation.  
 Just as I try to make a blithe joke, I try to melt whatever awkward social ice has frosted over the windshield between us Vinny talks first.
“It’s like crazy, ya know. My little brother he’s only twelve, got upset over some girl or something. Tried to hang himself with the shower curtain. He’s twelve.”
I don’t know what to say. Through the hotel window I can see both of our reflections.
“Is he alright?” I inquire. I don’t know Vinny at all. Our relationship centers around fortuitously bumping into each other in the lobby with Vinny taking close ups with camcorder in eye.

“Yeah, I mean, he’s on life support. They apparently resuscitate him. But now he’s a vegetable. I mean, that’s how I have to introduce my brother to people, this is my brother, the vegetable.”
For some reason I think about Greta. I think about Our Wendy chomping on fruit for breakfast.
“Well, maybe he’s in luck. I mean alotta girls are into the whole vegetarian thing these days.”

Vinny says yeah. He smiles. He calls me Tony. He references someone named Lucille who I purportedly danced with last night. Gradually realize he is referring to Harmony. He says that you and Lucille sure looked good last night. He says that I am lucky to have a girl like Lucille. A spring tint forms trapezoids through the window. Traffic continues to bleep past. Somewhere the Big Ten is rehearsing a skit we are to perform in inveterate competition. Somewhere everyone on my floor is inquiring about Harry. They want to know what happened to Harry.
Vinny glances in my direction. Outside the traffic continues to bleep past. Outside the wind tastes like spring.
Hey, yo Tone, I’m glad yer here.”
I am too. I sat to Vinny, someone I hardly know.
I am too.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment