Dreamlandlondontown...

Reminiscent of phone, not Harmony 

I pick up the phone. It is one o'clock in the morning. I am anticipating it to be Rita. I am rehearsing my apology in my psyche telling her that I am sorry. Telling her that the group of ruffians I have somehow  found myself a part of jumped on my back and I misplaced the napkin. I don't know how Rita could have gotten my number but perhaps it turns our that we have mutual friends.

I answer the phone by saying hell. It is a feminine voice. It addresses me as David followed question mark. At first I am unsure of who it is. 

"This is Harmony, sorry it took me so long to call you back."

I don't know whether to be pissed or not. I have been trying to get her to call me back all day and she has been completely elusive. It is 1:10 in the morning and I want to run in a couple of hours.

I respond back by saying hey.


"Listen, I'm really sorry I had to go last night all of a sudden and that I wasn't able to call you back today."

I tell her that that was no big deal. Harmony finally called me back. In a way I wish I was talking with Rita. 


"When I got off the phone last night Jennifer immediately started calling people then I took a shower and went to sleep. I had to get up early. Both myself and Meg Weaver went to church."

I am stunned, Suddenly she becomes more sexy that she went to church this morning. I ask Harmony where she went. Harmony states that she found a parish with a few of the older female counselors.

"We left late so we traveled on the last bus. We were behind the group most of the day."

Harmony states that she then spent the entire afternoon working for Lynn Minton and that she even sat with Lynn and a few members of the older groups for dinner. She says that she didn't get a chance to really see her group at all until they worked on their skit after dinner. As I am hearing her voice my bitterness at her is starting to assuage.

Harmony tells me that she didn't even know that I called until Jennifer Flood informed her when she finally returned to the room after skit rehearsal.

"Well, I 'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you or your roommate but I just wanted to call you and tell you that I didn't mean to blow you off or anything."

I try not to dwell on the irony. I try not to think about how I am inadvertently blowing Rita off while Harmony has inadvertently blown me off the entire day.

"Well, I just wanted to hear your voice and tell you goodnight."

"You don't have to get off the phone, I mean, if you want to talk for a little while longer that what be nice."





"Okay, " Harmony assents, asking me what I thought about the events of the preceding day before I tell her to turn her lights off because I want  to see what her hair looks like beneath the canopy of the stars.

1 comment:

  1. The phone call will last and I will dance with her voice and it will be over. It will last and it will be gone to soon. It will last and I can fell her body opening up like botanical stalks touched by the British dawn. It will last and there will (again) be giggles on the other end, Harmony stating that she needs to go, inquiring again if she can somehow call me back, the dial tone serving as a court sentencing, a hallelujah. An amen clicked with the reverberating drone of the dial tone, the hush of traffic zipping past in the street--I am enamored. I am missing her. I call her back only to again her the voice of Jennifer Flood, laughing, again telling me that Harmony cannot talk right now, cannot talk, she;s with a really hot guy....

    ReplyDelete