dinner, April 16th, final meal at the Moathouse





Our final dinner at the Moat Hose we are having Lasagna. Spencer goes out of his way to note that this is the first meal we have had that hasn’t included roast beef and potatoes. Before dinner I saunter into Sam in the lobby. He is all chuckles. He slaps me on the back. He says that if he wanted to see traditional display of British dancing he would have gone  to that there Riverdance with his Grandma when it came to town.

I am still a tad irked about having to go to the goddam butterfly farm.  During dinner all I can think about is that I am calling Harmony tonight. In an hour from now I will be holding the sweet surf of the creature I held last night to teh side of my face lulled by the metronome and sway of her voice.


I look around the room and see if I can perhaps see her. My glasses are doffed.

Liz Madigan again tell us that we are ready to embark on the second chapter of our trip. Liz says that luggage needs to be placed outside our door before we go to breakfast tomorrow morning. She says that tomorrow we have a full day of travel, first to Blenheim palace and then to Oxford. She says that when we meet again as a group as a whole tomorrow night we will be in London.

There are claps. We are saying faretheewell to a place we have just arrived. Liz informs us to be sure, while we are packing to give the room a solid look down to make sure everything is sufficiently packed. As we are rising from the table both Sir Chalres and Trevor meet us.


"Hey Yo Big Ten, we all have to meet."

Charles says that we have to have a serious Big Ten Pow wow. He says that it is mandatory. He says that everyone has to meet in Trevor's room in fifteen minutes.

I want to raise my hand. I told Harmony I would call her after dinner.

There is a seriousness about Trevor I have not hear the entire trip. He says that we have to go over some really serious protocol before we leave for London.

He says that the meeting won't take long.


                                                                        ***


Inside Trevor's bedroom we meet by stating out BIG TEN affiliated school. Spencer and Banky are the last to arrive. Bryan has his discman on until Sir Charles shoots him a look,  insinuating that this is serious. I am seated next to Kenny. Josh is standing next to Sir Charles, as if he is a junior counselors.

Trevor goes over some of the basic regime. He states to make sure we have everything packed and that we thoroughly go through the room because if we leave anything behind there is no way we can get it back.

"Also," Trevor is looking around the room. "There's been some complaints about rowdiness on the bus. You guys are starting to get a name for yourselves."

For a moment I wonder if the group as a whole is going to be admonished.  I wonder if we are going to have to sit out Blenheim palace and kick it on the discipline bus.

Trevor tells us that you guys can still have fun just not go crazy all the time and draw attention to yourselves in a negative way, He begins to talk about the Big Ten as if we are a youth-oriented Little league team. He gives us the brothers-keepers remember, what one of your guys do reflects the integrity of the entire group speech. Everyone is looking into the direction of their shoes. Josh, the future Eagle Scout has his head up as if he is saying the pledge of allegiance. As if he filed the complaint. As if he is waiting for justice to be served.

  “You guys are gleaning a reputation for being immature. Remember the CEO of Parade magazine is on our bus."

Trevor is talking very fast. Charles has his hands crossed across his torso Genie-granting-three-wishes  


“Also,” Charles adds, “there’s been complaints about some of your language.”

Everyone in t he group tries not to look directly into the direction of Jim Baker.  Charles is acting really cool. He tells us to tone it down a notch. He tells us not to curse while we are in public.
“Remember you guys represent the best of the best.”


“Some of the kids are young so you need to represent yourself in a positive manner.


There are nods. Everyone is commiserating.  Both Trevor and Sir Charles ask if there are an other pressing questions that we need to discuss as a group at this time.  Chins are swiping back and forth. Trevor then invites everyone in for a huddle.

"Alright now, The trip is half over. Remember. Have fun but be mature and don't curse in front of any of the adults or young kids."


Trevor says everyone put our hands in. On the count of three everyone is to state the name of England's capital, the place we are spending the remainder of our sojourn, the place where we will fall in love the place where we will stamp out the ashes of our youth and come home change.


We yell out the name London. Even Spencer's roommate Banky yells.


It is the first time any of us have heard his voice.


Both Trevor and Sir Charles are clapping. We exit the room in a locomotive-sentence. As I am half-way through the door I feel a squeeze on the back of my shoulders It is Sir Charles. He is smiling at me.


"Go get 'em Harry!!!" He says, with a smile.


Get 'em.


  


1 comment:


  1. I have spent the last minutes looking at myself in the mirror. Justin is in the other room trying to arouse the television by playing with the nipple button used to change channels. He rhetorically asks me how screwed up I think it is that in this country they call soccer foottball. He then asks me out loud what I think they call real football back home.

    I have the three digits of her room crinkled in my pocket.
    “I don’t know. People worship soccer over here though.”

    I ask Justin what he thought about our Big Ten meeting.

    “We’re just the Big Ten. That’s all we are.”

    “Jim just needs to calm down. He’s gonna get all of us in trouble if he just doesn’t chill.”

    ReplyDelete